Monday, March 10, 2014

The very gist of equanimity

It is the ongoing trend of people to propagate quotable quotes of great influential personalities over face book. Of course it would help in providing the viewers with certain perception to some extent. But I am of the view and I one for believe that the gist of few quotes are not that much sagacious to be embraced by the exploring viewers. Today I got stuck with a quote of “Albert Einstein” –the great scientist.

But I could not fully agree with the very sense of... that citation. First, let's look at the meaning of 'equanimity'. Evenness of mind or temper; composure, calmness. As I see it, he is saying that we are greatly influenced by our social conditioning along with the prejudices of the environment in which we live. We are reluctant to see beyond those prejudices and adopt a 'Go along, to Get along style of operating. We do not want to break/change the 'status quo'.

He also states forcibly that, "Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions." My feeling is that it may have been true in his time and experience. I don't believe such a 'blanket statement' is true in our time. Why? Because people are more educated and are able to see beyond all the hypocrisy that passes for fact, especially in the political sphere. See any newspaper media - 'Letters to the Editor' and you will see that we are a very opinionated mob.

No comments:

Post a Comment